Monica Talley is a director and heads Sterne Kessler's Trademark & Brand Protection Practice. For more than 20 years she has specialized in strategic trademark counseling and portfolio enhancement, developing anti-counterfeiting solutions and strategies, and resolving trademark disputes. Monica is particularly sought after for her expertise in enforcing brand rights against infringers and counterfeiters seeking to profit from her clients’ well-known brands.
Ranked as one of the leading trademark prosecution and strategy attorneys in Washington, DC, Monica is also noted for her global brand protection and commercialization strategies and is lauded by clients as “a knowledgeable, practical, thorough and responsible professional, who knows how to keep a portfolio strong and product copies to a minimum” and that she “runs an impressive team that can handle a large workflow without ever letting matters drop. Monica listens carefully to her clients, understands their concerns and is excellent at calibrating her tone with – and approach to – third parties appropriately” as reported by the editors of World Trademark Review in the 2021 and 2020 edition of WTR 1000, respectively. Monica has been consecutively ranked in the prestigious WTR 1000 since 2012. In addition, Monica has been named an "IP Star" by Managing IP magazine since 2013 and is recognized as one of the magazine's "Top 250 Women in IP." Monica is also ranked among the "leading IP practitioners in the world" by the World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) in their 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 "WIPR Leaders" publication.
Monica is also well-versed in prosecuting and defending opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She handles a wide range of Internet trademark and domain name disputes; files arbitration complaints under ICANN’s Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy; negotiates resolutions to disputes; drafts advantageous settlement and coexistence agreements; and is skilled at negotiating and drafting license agreements. Sterne Kessler is an Official Agent for the Trademark Clearinghouse, and Monica assists brand owners with navigating the changing landscape of ICANN's evolving gTLD system.
Having worked in advertising and marketing prior to her entry into the field of law, Monica is particularly known for providing clients with creative and practical solutions that work within both business and legal parameters. In addition to being sought after for her business acumen, Monica is well-known for her ability to foster strong, mutually rewarding client relationships.
Monica serves a broad base of international clients in the consumer products, apparel, food and beverage, manufacturing, telecom, music, biotechnology, information technology, media, and entertainment fields. She also represents numerous associations and non-profits, and works with clients in registering and enforcing certification marks.
Monica frequently speaks and writes on trademark issues to a variety of public and private audiences. She has been active for many years in leading intellectual property organizations, including the International Trademark Association (INTA) and the Intellectual Property Owner’s Association (IPO). She is the Vice Chair of IPO's Anti-Counterfeiting Committee and Co-Chair of AIPLA's Cannabis Tech Subcommittee, serves on INTA’s Brands and Innovation Committee, and served as an editor for The Trademark Reporter for four years. Monica has penned extensive content for Sterne Kessler’s well-read “MarkIt to Market” newsletter and other leading publications. She authored the trademark chapter of the Thomson Reuters Westlaw book, Patent Office Litigation -- Second Edition, and JD Supra recognized her with a “Reader’s Choice Award,” for excellence in writing and thought leadership in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
While attending law school at George Mason University School of Law, Monica worked as a trademark attorney assistant at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. She earned her B.S.B.A. in marketing and management from the University of Richmond.
- World Trademark Review 1000, "The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals" (2021 - 2012)
- World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), "WIPR Leaders" (2020 - 2017)
- Managing IP Awards, "Nominee - National Trademark Practitioner of the Year" (2021)
- Managing IP, "IP Star" (2021 - 2013)
- Managing IP, "Top 250 Women in IP" (2020 - 2013)
- Super Lawyers, "Super Lawyer - Washington DC" (2021 - 2019)
- JD Supra, "Reader's Choice Award" (2021 - 2017)
- The National Law Review, "Go-To Thought Leader" (2018)
- Euromoney Expert Guides, "Trade Mark Guide" (2018 - 2016)
- Lawyer Monthly, "Women in Law Award - Trademarks Category" (2020, 2018 - 2015)
- Burton Award, "Excellence in Legal Writing" (2005)
- Who's Who Legal, "Trademarks" (2021, 2019)
- American Bar Association, IP Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- AIPLA Cannabis Tech Subcommittee, Co-Chair
- ChIPs Women in IP
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Trademark Office Practice Committee
- International Trademark Association, Brands and Innovation Committee (2022-2023)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Women's Bar Association