William H. Milliken is a director in Sterne Kessler’s Trial & Appellate Practice Group. His practice focuses on patent litigation in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States District Courts, the International Trade Commission, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He has extensive experience briefing and arguing Federal Circuit appeals and complex motions in district court. Will is also an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Antonin Scalia Law School of George Mason University, where he teaches an upper-level seminar on Patent Office litigation.
Will graduated first in his class at Vanderbilt University with a B.A. in mathematics and received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School. While at Harvard, Will was a winner of the Ames Moot Court Competition and served as executive editor of the Harvard Law & Policy Review. After law school, he clerked on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana and the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. He has authored two law review articles on constitutional criminal procedure and has written several problems for Harvard Law School’s moot court competition. Will is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia and Tennessee and is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, among others.
- Retroactivity, the Due Process Clause, and the Federal Question in Montgomery v. Louisiana, 68 Stan. L. Rev. Online 42 (with Jason Zarrow) (2015)
- The Retroactivity of Substantive Rules to Cases on Collateral Review and the AEDPA, With A Special Focus on Miller v. Alabama, 48 Ind. L. Rev. 931 (with Jason Zarrow) (2015)
- MiiCs & Partners America, Inc v. Funai Electric Co., Ltd., C.A. No. 14-804-RGA (D. Del.)
- Allergan Sales, LLC v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., C.A. No. 2:15-cv-1471-JRG-RSP (E.D. Tex.)
- Allergan, Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, C.A. No. 2:15-cv-1455-WCB (E.D. Tex.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana