Uma N. Everett is a director in Sterne Kessler’s Trial & Appellate Practice Group. She tries patent cases in federal courts across the country and before the United States International Trade Commission. Uma is experienced in all aspects of litigation, from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal. In addition, she has handled appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal and Third Circuits and contested proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Uma has advised clients and litigated cases involving patents, trade secrets, contractual claims, as well as those involving a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, LEDs, vehicle systems, telephone systems, communication systems, and consumer products.
Additionally, Uma has represented pro bono small business owners, immigrants, and low-income clients.
Uma is also a contributing author of Pre-ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Developing a Drug Product and Patent Portfolio, Third Edition, published by the American Bar Association in 2022.
While attending law school at Georgetown University Law Center, Uma served as the senior notes editor of The Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. Before attending law school, Uma worked at Price Waterhouse as a management consultant, advising companies on implementing technical solutions. Uma received her B.A. in economics from the University of Virginia.
- 337-TA-1294: High Performance Gravity-Fed Water Filters and Products Containing the Same Brita LP v. Kaz, USA Inc et al (counsel for Complainant Brita LP)
- 337-TA-1235: Vehicle Control Systems, Vehicles Containing the Same, and Components Thereof – Jaguar Land Rover Limited et al v. Volkswagen AG et al (counsel for all Respondents)
- 337-TA-1159: Certain Lithium Ion Batteries, Battery Cells, Battery Modules, Battery Packs, Components Thereof, and Processes Thereof (third-party)
- 337-TA-1139: Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and Components Thereof, (counsel for Complainant Juul Labs, Inc.)
- 337-TA-1141: In re Certain Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems and Components Thereof, (counsel for Complainant Juul Labs, Inc.)
- 337-TA-1081: LED Lighting Devices, LED Power Supplies, and Components Thereof – Philips Lighting Holding BV et al. v. Feit Electrical Company Inc.* et al. (counsel for Respondent Feit Electric)
- 337-TA-1043: Electrical Connectors, Components Thereof, and Products Containing the Same – JST Corp.* v. Robert Bosch GmbH et al. (counsel for Complainant JST Corp)
- 337-TA-911 In re Lithium Silicate Materials and Products Containing the Same, ITC Investigation (counsel for Complainant Ivoclar Vivadent AG)
- HLFIP Holding, Inc. v. York County, Pennsylvania et al. (represented defendants in litigation involving postal mail contraband elimination patent, which resulted in all claims being held unpatentable under § 101) (M.D. Pa)
- Celgene Corporation v. Cipla Limited (represented Cipla in litigation involving the drug REVLIMID®) (D.N.J.)
- Par Pharmaceutical, Inc. v. American Regent, Inc. (represented American Regent in litigation involving the drug VASOSTRICT®)
- Global*Tel Link v. Securus Technologies (N.D. Tex.) (represented Global Tel*Link in a patent suit involving telecommunication technology)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. v. Corcept Therapeutics, Inc. (represented Teva in an IPR of an orange-book listed patent for KORLYM®) (PGR2019-00048)
- Argentum Pharmaceuticals LLC et al. v. Cipla Limited et al. (represented Cipla in an IPR of a patent covering DYMISTA®) (IPR2017-00807)