John Christopher “J.C.” Rozendaal is a director and chair of Sterne Kessler's Trial & Appellate Practice Group. J.C. focuses his practice on representing clients in complex business and intellectual property litigation, principally in federal court, and he regularly tries patent-infringement cases to juries. He frequently briefs and argues cases at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and has represented clients in the U.S. Supreme Court, both at the certiorari stage and on the merits.
J.C. has litigated patents on a wide variety of technologies, including pharmaceuticals, aseptic packaging systems, golf clubs, optical disc drives, medical ultrasound, Voice-over-Internet-Protocol, LCD flat-panel displays, and streaming video technology.
A growing part of J.C.'s practice includes counseling generic pharmaceutical companies on matters related to generic pharmaceuticals and biosimilars, as well as assisting international companies as they navigate the U.S. patent system. A seasoned litigator, J.C. is particularly adept at explaining complicated technical concepts to juries and judges who have no background in science or technology. Since 2019, he has been named an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property. In 2021, J.C. became a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, where membership is limited to just one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction.
Prior to becoming a practicing attorney, J.C. served as a clerk for Judge Douglas H. Ginsburg, U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, and Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, U.S. Supreme Court.
J.C. earned his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law, Austin, with highest honors. He received a B.A. and M.A. from Oxford University, Brasenose College, with first-class honors and a B.A. from the University of Texas, Austin, Plan II, with highest honors.
- Best Lawyers, "The Best Lawyers in America®" (2024 - 2023)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year - Generic" (2023)
- IAM Patent 1000, "Washington, DC: Patent Litigation (Silver and Bronze Bands)" (2023 - 2018)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Finalist - Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year - Generic" (2022, 2020)
- World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), "WIPR Leaders" (2023 - 2022)
- Managing IP, "IP Star" (2023 - 2019)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Life Sciences Star" (2023 - 2019)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year" (2021)
- Super Lawyers, "Super Lawyer - Washington, DC" (2023 - 2020)
- Patexia, "100 Best Performing CAFC Attorneys Representing Appellees (Top 50)" (2022)
- Allergan, Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. et al. (on behalf of Teva Pharmaceuticals, obtained district court judgment invalidating six patents protecting Restasis ophthalmic emulsion for treatment of dry eye; successfully defended judgment on appeal) (E.D. Tex. No. 2:15-cv-1455) (Fed. Cir. No. 2018-1130).
- Steuben Foods, Inc. v. Shibuya Hoppmann Corp. et al. (currently representing Shibuya Hoppmann Corp. and other defendants in litigation involving aseptic bottling systems for low-acid foods) (W.D.N.Y) (1:10-cv-781).
- MiiCs & Partners America, LLC et al. v. Funai Electric Co., Ltd.vet al. (on behalf of Funai Electric, obtained summary judgment of invalidity or non-infringement of five patents directed to LCD flat-panel televisions; successfully defended judgment on appeal) (D. Del. No. 1:14-cv-804) (Fed. Cir. No. 2018-1307).
- In re Certain Audio Processing Hardware and Software and Products Containing the Same. (represented Dell Inc. in USITC investigation involving audio processing technology in first case to reach Commission in pilot program for rapid disposition of case-dispositive issues) (USITC 2015) (Inv. No. 337-TA-949).
- Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Techs., Inc. (represented Limelight Networks in U.S. Supreme Court case involving Internet content delivery networks, resulting in 9-0 win and landmark ruling on divided infringement of method claims) (U.S. Supreme Court; 134 S.Ct. 2111 (2014)).
- Wireless Ink Corp. v. Google, Inc. et al. (argued on behalf of Facebook and Google in Federal Circuit in case involving technology for managing Web sites designed to be accessed from mobile devices; successfully defended judgment of noninfringement) (Fed. Cir. 2014) (Nos. 2013-1683, 2013-1684).
- Greenville Communications, L.L.C. v. Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless, (represented Verizon Wireless in obtaining favorable claim construction ruling and stipulated judgment of non-infringement in case involving wireless telephone calling features; successfully defended judgment on appeal) (D.N.J. 2012) (3:07-cv-4222) (Fed. Cir. 2013) (No. 2012-1676).
- In re Gabapentin Patent Litigation (represented Teva Pharmaceuticals in jury trial of high-stakes patent infringement case involving drug for treatment of epilepsy; case settled on favorable terms two weeks into trial) (D.N.J. 2011) (MDL No. 1384).
- Ricoh Co., Ltd. v. Quanta Computer, Inc. (successfully represented plaintiff Ricoh in obtaining reversal on appeal of unfavorable summary judgment ruling in patent infringement case brought against Taiwanese maker of optical disc drives; on remand, obtained $14.5 million jury verdict for patentee) (Fed. Cir. 2008) (550 F.3d 1325) (W.D. Wis. 2010) (No. 06-cv-462-bbc).
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit