Washington D.C. (April 20, 2021) – The podcast IP Hot Topics, presented by Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox, closed out the first quarter of the year by hosting the President of Howard University, Dr. Wayne A.I. Frederick. The episode covered several topics, including: Howard’s legacy of research and innovation; the role of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in graduating STEM students; developing intellectual property; solutions to the challenges faced by Howard and Black communities during the pandemic; and more.
The episode was the sixth in the “Innovation Conversations” series, which features discussions with noteworthy innovators, influencers, authors, scientists, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) officials and other prominent players in intellectual property. The IP Hot Topics podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and SoundCloud, as well as the “Multimedia” section of the firm’s website www.sternekessler.com.
Full topics and episodes are available below:
- Innovation Conversations: Dr. Wayne A.I. Frederick: Sterne Kessler Director R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. and Director of Marketing & Communications Kathryn Holmes Johnson spoke with Dr. Wayne A.I. Frederick, president of Howard University.
- Innovation Conversations: Paul Reed Smith: Sterne Kessler Directors R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. and Donald J. Featherstone spoke with Paul Reed Smith, founder and managing general partner of guitar manufacturer Paul Reed Smith Guitars. Topics included technology in music and the essential role of patents and trademarks in the company’s IP portfolio.
- Innovation Conversations: Dr. Claire Fraser: Sterne Kessler Director R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. spoke with the President of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and Director of the Institute for Genome Sciences at the University of Maryland, Dr. Claire Fraser, on the importance of genome sequencing, perspectives on the U.S. patent system and hopes for the future of biotech.
- Innovation Conversations: Andrei Iancu: Sterne Kessler Directors R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. and Robert Greene Sterne spoke with Andrei Iancu, the former Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the USPTO, about changes implemented at the agency during his tenure.
- Innovation Conversations: Walter Isaacson, Part 2: Sterne Kessler Directors R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. and Eldora L. Ellison, Ph.D. discussed the future of innovation and new disruptors on the horizon with Walter Isaacson, Tulane University professor and author of The Code Breaker. The new book profiles Jennifer A. Doudna and Emmanuelle Charpentier who were awarded the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry "for the development of a method for genome editing."
- Innovation Conversations: Walter Isaacson, Part 1: Sterne Kessler Directors R. Wilson “Trey” Powers III, Ph.D. and Eldora L. Ellison, Ph.D. explored COVID-19 research as an opportunity to strike a necessary balance while serving the good of mankind with Walter Isaacson.
About IP Hot Topics
The podcast IP Hot Topics explores timely and trending topics in intellectual property law ranging from ground-breaking cases in the courts and U.S. Supreme Court decisions to changes in regulations at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the International Trade Commission. Highly experienced attorneys from Sterne Kessler, a top-tier IP specialty firm based in Washington, DC, discuss what is happening, why it is happening and what action steps IP stakeholders may want to take as a result. Subscribers to this podcast can stay up to date on developments in IP law effectively and efficiently with brief 20-30 minute episodes.
About Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox
Based in Washington, D.C. and renowned for more than four decades for dedication to the protection, transfer, and enforcement of intellectual property rights, Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox is one of the most highly regarded intellectual property specialty law firms in the world. Its team of attorneys, registered patent agents, students, and technical specialists include some of the country's most respected practitioners of IP law tackling innovations across a broad spectrum of industries. The firm’s practitioners hold over 50 masters and over 50 doctorate degrees in science or engineering and represent Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurs, start-ups, inventors, venture capital firms, and universities in a client service driven environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and intellectually stimulating. Visit the firm online at sternekessler.com.