Kathryn Holmes Johnson is the director of marketing and communications for Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox. She is responsible for developing and executing strategic marketing and communications campaigns in support of the firm's business development and organizational goals. Kathryn was the first publicist for the firm from April 2006 to December 2007, when she began her legal marketing career. In the summer of 2015, she returned to the firm as director of marketing and communications. Prior to her current tenure with Sterne Kessler, Kathryn held several senior positions at "AmLaw 100" firms. She served as the director of communications at Crowell & Moring after holding the same position at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld. Prior to that experience, she was the senior regional marketing manager at Nixon Peabody, where she oversaw firm-wide regional marketing operations after being promoted from the position of regional marketing manager for the firm's Washington, D.C., Chicago, and London offices. Kathryn is a frequent speaker and facilitator for panels on the topics of public relations and crisis communications.
Prior to her work in the legal arena, Kathryn was the marketing communications director of the Department of Parks and Recreation in Arlington, VA, for ten years where she oversaw the planning and execution of dynamic, multilevel marketing strategies and initiatives for the programs and services of the agency. Earlier in her career, she held positions focused on community relations, corporate sponsorships, volunteer management, PR, and multi-media production with Fleet Bank (now Bank of America), Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, National Alliance of Business, United Negro College Fund, and C-SPAN.
Kathryn has been engaged in community service throughout her career, including serving for eight years as an event management team leader for large public events at the White House during the Obama administration. She has served on local non-profit boards and public school committees. Kathryn earned a B.A. in broadcast management at Howard University and was a "Second Edition" graduate fellow at Marquette University.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "Honing Your Business Development Skills" Managing Intellectual Property, Webinar – April 2020
- "Managing a Strong Communications Program" Law Firm Media Professionals, Washington, DC – October 2019
- “Diversity & Inclusion 2.0: Taking the Next Step” Legal Marketing Association, Washington, DC – May 2018
- “Building Your Brand via Social Media” South Asian Bar Association Annual Conference, Washington, DC – July 2017
- “PR Strategies for B2B and B2C Practices” Legal Marketing Association, Washington, DC – May 2017
- “Promoting Your Law Firm’s Diversity” Law Firm Media Professionals, New York – May 2017
- “Supporting & Leveraging ‘The Vault’ for Law Firm Recruiting” Law Firm Media Professionals, Washington, DC – February 2016
Law Firm Media Professionals
Howard University Alumni Association