Daniel E. Yonan is a director at Sterne Kessler and heads the firm’s U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) Practice Group, in addition to being a member of the Trial & Appellate Practice Group. He is an experienced intellectual property trial attorney focusing on complicated patent disputes before federal district courts; fast-track investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission; and proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Since Daniel founded the firm’s ITC practice it has more than quadrupled in size, and Sterne Kessler is now among the top five percent of all firms active before the Commission. Daniel is called upon for his unique ability to resolve of these highly-specialized proceedings and represents both complainants and respondents alike, with a particular understanding of the complexities in dealing with German entities.
As lead counsel, Daniel takes multiple investigations through trial each year. Daniel’s unique trial skills are informed by his knowledge of the Administrative Procedure Act and his early career training with a former Director of the Office of Unfair Import Investigations.
Daniel has also appeared as lead counsel in multiple district court patent infringement trials, and has a client base that includes some of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers. He is sought out for his creative approach to resolving disputes, which involves Inter Partes Review proceedings. Daniel has further helped to establish a brand enforcement litigation practice at Sterne Kessler where he regularly secures injunctive relief for clients faced with counterfeiting and other intellectual property misappropriation.
Before attending law school at John Marshall Law School, Daniel was a new-drug research chemist at Pfizer, Inc. (formerly G.D. Searle & Co.), where he focused on the development of novel anti-inflammatory drug candidates. Daniel received his B.S. in chemistry from the University of Illinois.
- Managing IP, "IP Star" (2019 - 2017)
- IAM Patent 1000, "Washington, D.C.: Patent Litigation (Bronze Band)" (2018 - 2017)
- IAM Patent 1000, "National: Recommended Lawyer - International Trade Commission and Litigation" (2018; 2016)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Life Sciences Star" (2018 - 2012)
- 337-TA-1125: Certain Height-Adjustable Desk Platforms and Components Thereof – Varidesk LLC v. Venditio Group LLC* et al.
- 337-TA-1123: Carburetors and Products Containing Such Carburetors – Walbro LLC v. Tractor Supply Co.* et al.
- 337-TA-1088: Road Construction Machines and Components Thereof – Caterpillar Inc. v. Wirtgen America Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-1081: LED Lighting Devices, LED Power Supplies, and Components Thereof – Philips Lighting Holding BV et al. v. Feit Electrical Company Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-1067: Road Milling Machines and Components Thereof – Wirtgen America Inc.* v. Caterpillar Inc. et al.
- 337-TA-1043: Electrical Connectors, Components Thereof, and Products Containing the Same – JST Corp.* v. Robert Bosch GmbH et al.
- 337-TA-1040: Basketball Backboard Components and Products Containing the Same – Lifetime Products Inc.* v. Russell Brands LLC d/b/a Spalding et al.
- 337-TA-1000: Motorized Self-Balancing Vehicles – Inventist Inc. et al. v. Powerboard LLC* et al.
- 337-TA-993: Overflow and Drain Assemblies for Bathtubs – WCM Industries Inc.* v. Better Enterprise Co. Ltd. et al.
- 337-TA-984: Computing or Graphics Systems, Components Thereof, and Vehicles Containing Same – Advanced Silicon Technologies LLC v. Audi AG* et al.
- 337-TA-979: Radio Frequency Identification – Neology Inc.* v. Kapsch TrafficCom Canada Inc. et al.
- 337-TA-936: Certain Footwear Products – Converse Inc. v. Tory Burch LLC.* et. al.
- 337-TA-911: Certain Lithium Silicate Materials and Products Containing the Same – Ivoclar Vivident AG* v. Dentsply Prosthetics et. al.
- 337-TA 903: Certain Antivenom Compositions and Products Containing Same – BTG International Inc. v. Laboratories Silanes* et. al.
- 337-TA-875: Certain Radio Frequency Identification ("RFID") Products and Components Thereof – Neology Inc.* v. Federal Signal Corporation et. al.
- 337-TA-871: Certain Wireless Communications Base Stations and Components Thereof – Ericsson v. Adaptix Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-766: Certain Gemcitabine and Products Containing Same - Eli Lilly and Co. v. Hospira Inc. and Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.* et al.
- 337-TA-748: Certain Data Storage Products and Components Thereof - Data Network Storage LLC* v. Dell et al.
- 337-TA-635: Certain Pesticides and Products Containing Clothianidin - Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd. and Valent U.S.A. Corp.* v. Syngenta AG et al.
- 337-TA-626: Certain Noise Cancelling Headphones - Bose Corp. v. Audio Technica U.S. Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-603: Certain DVD Players and Recorders -Toshiba Corporation and Toshiba America Consumer Products LLC v. Daewoo Electronics America Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-600: Certain Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Batteries - 3M Co. and 3M Innovative Properties Co. v. Lenovo Group Ltd. and Lenovo Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-582: Certain Hydraulic Excavators and Components Thereof - Caterpillar Inc. vs. Ritchie Bros. Auctioneer Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-572: Certain Insulin Delivery Devices - Novo Nordisk A/S et al. v. Sanofi-Aventis* et al.
- 337-TA-559: Certain Digital Processors and Digital Processing Systems - Biax Corp. v. 2Wire Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-556: Certain High Brightness Light-Emitting Diodes and Products Containing Same - Lumileds Lighting U.S. LLC v. Epistar Corporation* et al.
- 337-TA-531: Certain Network Controllers - Marvell International Ltd. v. Realtek Semiconductor Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-523: Certain Optical Disk Controller Chips and Chipsets and Products Containing Same, Including DVD Players and PC Optical Storage Devices - Mediatek Inc. v. Zoran Corporation and Oak Technology Inc. and Sunext Technology Co. Ltd.*
- 337-TA-498: Certain Insect Traps - American Biophysics Corp.* v. Blue Rhino Corp. et al.
- 337-TA-481: Certain Display Controllers with Upscaling Functionality and Products Containing Same - Genesis Microchip v. Media Reality Technologies Inc.* et al.
- Evans Cooling Systems Inc. v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc.* et al. (D. Ct.)
- Intellectual Capital Consulting Ltd. v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc.* et al. (E.D. Tex.)
- Voxathon LLC v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc.* (E.D. Tex.)
- In Re: Nebivolol ('040) Patent Litigation (N.D. Ill.) (counsel on behalf of Glenmark* in ANDA lawsuit involving nebivolol hydrochloride - BYSTOLIC®)
- Adaptix Inc.* v. T-Mobile USA Inc. (E.D. Tex.)
- Galderma Laboratories Inc. et. al. v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC* et. al. (D. Del.)
- Daiichi Sankyo Inc. et al. v. Glenmark Generics Inc.* et al. (D. Del.)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP et al. v. Intas Pharmaceutical Ltd.* et al. (D. N.J.)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP et al. v. Glenmark Generics Inc.* (D. Del.)
- SmithKline Beecham Corp. v. Glenmark Generics Inc.* (D. Del.)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. et al. v. Glenmark Generics Inc.* (D. N.J.)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- AIPLA, Biotechnology Committee co-chair (2015)