Daniel E. Yonan is a director in Sterne Kessler’s Trial & Appellate Practice Group. He is an experienced intellectual property trial attorney focusing on complicated patent disputes before federal district courts, fast-track investigations before the U.S. International Trade Commission, and proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Daniel founded and currently leads the firm's ITC practice and has served as ITC trial counsel in more than 30 patent-based Section 337 investigations. He has also appeared as counsel of record in multiple complex patent infringement trials, and serves as lead counsel in a number of cases representing some of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers. Daniel is sought out for his unique approach to complex patent litigation and his ability to consistently obtain favorable results for his clients.
Daniel is a contributing author of Patent Office Litigation, Second Edition, published in 2017, and the two-volume set Patent Office Litigation, published in 2012 by Thomson Reuters Westlaw. The first edition focused on the new contested proceedings under the America Invents Act that year, while the second edition provides a fresh and comprehensive exploration of these proceedings. Both books examine how the proceedings interact with other aspects of patent procurement and enforcement, and deliver practical analysis and advice.
Before attending law school at John Marshall Law School, Daniel was a new-drug research chemist at Pfizer, Inc. (formerly G.D. Searle & Co.), where he focused on the development of novel anti-inflammatory drug candidates. Daniel received his B.S. in chemistry from the University of Illinois.
- Managing IP, "IP Star" (2017)
- IAM Patent 1000, "Patent Litigation (Bronze Band)" (2017)
- IAM Patent 1000, "Recommended Lawyer - International Trade Commission and Litigation" (2016)
- LMG Life Sciences, "Life Sciences Star" (2016-2012)
- Daiichi Sankyo, Inc. et al. v. Glenmark Generics, Inc. et al.(D. Del.) (counsel on behalf of Glenmark in ANDA lawsuit involving colesevelam hydrochloride - WELCHOL®)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP et al. v. Intas Pharmaceutical Ltd. et al. (D. N.J.) (counsel on behalf of Intas in ANDA lawsuit involving quetiapine fumarate - SEROQUEL®)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP et al. v. Glenmark Generics, Inc. (D. Del.) (counsel on behalf of Glenmark in multiple ANDA lawsuits involving rosuvastatin calcium - CRESTOR®)
- SmithKline Beecham Corp. v. Glenmark Generics, Inc. (D. Del.) (counsel on behalf of Glenmark in ANDA lawsuit involving atovaquone / proguanil - MALARONE®)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. et al. v. Glenmark Generics, Inc. (D. N.J.) (counsel on behalf of Glenmark in patent lawsuit involving carvedilol - COREG®)
- 337-TA-936 Certain Footwear Products – Converse, Inc. v. Tory Burch, LLC.,* et. al.
- 337-TA-911 Certain Lithium Silicate Materials and Products Containing the Same – Ivoclar Vivident AG* v. Dentsply Prosthetics, et. al.
- 337-TA 903 Certain Antivenom Compositions and Products Containing Same – BTG International, Inc. v. Laboratories Silanes,* et. al.
- 337-TA-875 Certain Radio Frequency Identification ("RFID") Products and Components Thereof – Neology, Inc.* v. Federal Signal Corporation, et. al.
- 337-TA-871 Certain Wireless Communications Base Stations and Components Thereof – Ericsson v. Adaptix, Inc.,* et al.
- 337-TA-766: Certain Gemcitabine and Products Containing Same - Eli Lilly and Co. v. Hospira, Inc. and Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd.* et al.
- 337-TA-748: Certain Data Storage Products and Components Thereof - Data Network Storage LLC* v. Dell et al.
- 337-TA-635: Certain Pesticides and Products Containing Clothianidin - Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd. and Valent U.S.A. Corp.* v. Syngenta AG et al.
- 337-TA-626: Certain Noise Cancelling Headphones - Bose Corp. v. Audio Technica U.S. Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-603: Certain DVD Players and Recorders -Toshiba Corporation and Toshiba America Consumer Products LLC v. Daewoo Electronics America, Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-600: Certain Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Batteries - 3M Co. and 3M Innovative Properties Co. v. Lenovo Group Ltd. and Lenovo Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-582: Certain Hydraulic Excavators and Components Thereof - Caterpillar Inc. vs. Ritchie Bros. Auctioneer Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-572: Certain Insulin Delivery Devices -Novo Nordisk A/S et al. v. Sanofi-Aventis* et al.
- 337-TA-559: Certain Digital Processors and Digital Processing Systems - Biax Corp. v. 2Wire, Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-556: Certain High Brightness Light-Emitting Diodes and Products Containing Same - Lumileds Lighting U.S., LLC v. Epistar Corporation* et al.
- 337-TA-531: Certain Network Controllers - Marvell International Ltd. v. Realtek Semiconductor Inc.* et al.
- 337-TA-523: Certain Optical Disk Controller Chips and Chipsets and Products Containing Same, Including DVD Players and PC Optical Storage Devices - Mediatek Inc. v. Zoran Corporation and Oak Technology, Inc, and Sunext Technology Co., Ltd.*
- 337-TA-498: Certain Insect Traps - American Biophysics Corp.* v. Blue Rhino Corp. et al.
- 337-TA-481: Certain Display Controllers with Upscaling Functionality and Products Containing Same - Genesis Microchip v. Media Reality Technologies, Inc.* et al.
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- AIPLA, Biotechnology Committee co-chair (2015)