Sterne Kessler protects innovation. Our technical depth, industry experience and knowledge of the patent office enable Sterne Kessler to obtain top-quality utility patents covering a broad range of technologies — from biotechnology and pharmaceuticals to electronics, industrial systems and innovative materials.
Sterne Kessler has been preparing and prosecuting utility patents for 40 years. We prosecute and enforce patents for companies with extensive, active patent portfolios, as well as small start-up companies that rely on the patent system to obtain funding and to head off competition.
Sterne Kessler provides clients with distinct advantages, building on our strengths as an IP specialty law firm:
- Quality. Our prosecution teams produce patents that can withstand validity challenges at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, as well as enforcement through the District Courts and the USITC. Our leadership as PTAB litigators informs our approach to patent prosecution and makes us better prosecutors.
- Technical depth. Our attorneys, patent agents and technical specialists have deep technical expertise in a wide range of fields, with over 50 Ph.D.s and over 100 advanced technical degrees across the firm.
- Efficiency. As a specialty IP firm, we invest in processes and technology that streamline our approach to patent preparation and prosecution. Quality work contributes to efficient prosecution, and technical depth ensures that we do not waste time learning at clients' expense.
- Full-service IP. We provide strategic counsel, from idea conception and product development to commercialization, launch and beyond.
- Reputation for excellence. We are widely recognized by companies and leading rating organizations for excellence in patent prosecution. That reputation carries through on the face of clients' patents as a mark of excellence.
Scientifically Skilled Professionals
Sterne Kessler attorneys, agents, and technical specialists are carefully recruited for their technical expertise that often includes advanced technical degrees, significant industry experience or both. All of our attorneys are either registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or are registration-eligible. Many have previously worked as patent examiners and have unique insights into the inner workings of the Patent Office.
Our patent professionals have expertise in a broad range of technologies, including:
- Computer hardware and software
- Internet technology
- Medical equipment
- Consumer products
- Materials science
- Clean technologies