Washington, D.C. (June 16, 2022) – Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox is proud to announce that the firm received positive reviews in the 2022 edition of Chambers Associate. This highly-regarded recruiting guide uses in-depth phone interviews to gather insight from thousands of junior associates who provide feedback on topics such as daily work, professional development, culture, and more.
Sterne Kessler earned Top 25 Firm rankings in the Associate Satisfaction; Career Development; Retention; and Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion categories. The editors of Chambers Associate remarked that while the firm is a relatively young firm (having been established in 1978), Sterne Kessler “has successfully established itself as one of the nation’s preeminent patent prosecution outfits.” Also noted is the firm’s status as the only Band 1 D.C. firm for patent prosecution in the 2022 Chambers USA guide.
Following are highlights from the firm’s profile, including direct quotes from associates regarding their views on several aspects of work life at Sterne Kessler.
- One associate discussed the variety and significance of work, noting the opportunity to “work directly with inventors, attend depositions, and respond to opposing counsel.”
- “I have had a lot of assignments a normal junior wouldn’t get, including the chance to draft expert reports and motions,” said another associate, highlighting the responsibilities entrusted to associates at the firm.
- Directors are consistently mentoring junior associates and making themselves available for guidance. One associate shared that the firm has “a really strong professional development program,” and that directors are “really invested in your development.”
- When discussing preparations for the role, one junior noted that new associates could expect “a slew of onboarding and training for anything and everything you could be doing as an attorney.”
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- The editors of Chambers Associate report that “Sterne [Kessler]’s commitment to DE&I is reflected in the fact that it ranks among the top 10% of firms surveyed for its representation of ethnic minority partners.”
- “We have an excellent executive committee who is invested in the progression, retention, and recruitment of diverse associates,” remarked one associate, emphasizing the firm-wide commitment to creating a workplace that embraces diversity.
- While the firm is flexible and accommodating on working remotely and in the office, many employees have chosen to return to the office for the unique, personable culture. One associated contributed, “the reason I’m going into the office is to socialize and build relationships,” adding that “I’ve been surprised at how genuinely open everyone is - people try to get to know you beyond the surface level.”
- Most attorneys at Sterne Kessler hold advanced technical degrees, which fosters a variety of different backgrounds and personalities. When interviewed, one associated added that “people have wide-ranging interests and there doesn't seem to be a homogenous culture. You can tell folks are comfortable with being themselves and each other.”
- “It’s a place where there’s a push for innovation and a desire to stay ahead of the curve,” an associate commented regarding the mindset shared by many Sterne Kessler employees.
Sterne Kessler’s full profile in Chambers Associate is available here, and the full guide can be accessed here. More information about the firm’s summer associate program and lateral opportunities at the firm is available here. Interested candidates are also encouraged to contact Cassandra Kowal at email@example.com.
About Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox
Based in Washington, D.C. and renowned for more than four decades for dedication to the protection, transfer, and enforcement of intellectual property rights, Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox is one of the most highly regarded intellectual property specialty law firms in the world. Its team of attorneys, registered patent agents, students, and technical specialists include some of the country's most respected practitioners of IP law tackling innovations across a broad spectrum of industries. The firm’s practitioners hold over 50 masters and over 60 doctorate degrees in science or engineering and represent Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurs, start-ups, inventors, venture capital firms, and universities in a client service driven environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and intellectually stimulating. Visit the firm online at sternekessler.com.