As livestock production and the rate of pet ownership both continue to increase, animal health innovations are in demand. Sterne Kessler's animal health industry team helps innovators in the industry with both cutting-edge technologies and classical veterinary science.
In the United States alone, well over 10 billion animals are counted on an annual basis. Focused on serving this vast population, animal health companies cover a combination of two large and growing industry sectors: pet care and livestock production. The animal health industry includes all products that promote livestock productivity and health and companion animal health, such as medicines and vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, pet supplies, feed and nutritional supplements.
The growing human population leads to a concurrent growth in demand for animal health products. To address extant and new animal health challenges, the industry will rely on both cutting-edge technologies and classical veterinary science. Research and innovation drive the quest to meet these challenges and fight new diseases that threaten animals, as well as to provide new or improved production technologies for all products needed for animals to thrive.
Why Sterne Kessler?
- In today's competitive landscape, strong patent protection is critical in bringing animal health products to market. We understand the challenges and risks clients in the animal health industry face. We have more than 30 years of experience helping animal health companies strategize, build and enforce worldwide biotechnology- and pharmaceutical-driven intellectual property portfolios.
- Our diverse team includes professionals with advanced academic training in areas such as chemistry, pharmacy, molecular and cellular biology, genetic engineering and immunology — precisely the mix needed by animal health clients.
- We take a holistic approach to protecting clients' products by bringing the full complement of IP options to bear.
Our experience includes:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications
- Conducting interviews with patent examiners
- Negotiating licenses
- Enforcing patent rights in district court and ITC litigation
- Leading contested post-grant proceedings at the PTAB
- Providing opinions on infringement, validity and patentability
- Creating company-wide IP guidelines
- Conducting IP audits
- Conducting IP due diligence investigations
- Assessing IP valuation
- Providing international protection strategy