Pauline M. Pelletier is a director in Sterne Kessler’s Trial & Appellate Practice Group. She is experienced in patent litigation before the federal courts and the International Trade Commission, post-grant trial and reexamination practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Pauline re-joined the firm after clerking for the Hon. Randall R. Rader, then chief judge of the Federal Circuit. Pauline has used her technical background in bioinformatics to prepare and prosecute patent applications as well as represent clients in district court litigation, Section 337 actions, inter partes review, post-grant review, covered business method review, reexamination, and interference proceedings in a variety of technology areas. She also counsels clients in emerging and regulated industries, including cannabinoid therapeutics.
She is a co-author of Chapter 35 of the ABA’s Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook (4th Ed. 2015) published by Bloomberg BNA, which addresses post-grant patentability challenges. She is a contributing author of Patent Office Litigation, Second Edition, published in 2017 by Thomson Reuters Westlaw. Pauline was a published articles editor for the Journal of Business and Technology Law, 8 J. Bus. & Tech. L. 451 (2013), and was awarded Best Appellant Brief in the Northeast Region at the 2012 Giles S. Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition. Pauline is a member of the Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court, the Federal Circuit Bar Association, the PTAB Bar Association, and the Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program.
Pauline received her J.D. in Intellectual Property, cum laude, from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law. She earned her M.S. in biotechnology and bioinformatics from The Johns Hopkins University, and her B.A., magna cum laude, also from The Johns Hopkins University where she was a Bloomberg Scholar.
- Bronner L, Kazanzides P, Mashariki A, Domingo P, Pelletier P, Thomas T. Using an object-oriented paradigm to organize, manage and present scientific information for researchers. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (May 2006)
- Ellerhorst JA, Naderi AA, Johnson MK, Pelletier P, Prieto VG, Diwan AH, Johnson MM, Gunn DC, Yekell S, Grimm EA. Expression of thyrotropin-releasing hormone by human melanoma and nevi. Clin. Cancer Res. 2004 Aug 15;10(16):5531-6, PMID: 15328193.
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit