Joshua G. McCoy
1100 New York Ave, NW Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005
Joshua G. McCoy is an associate in Sterne Kessler's Biotechnology & Chemical Practice Group. He assists in the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications as well as opinion analyses and inter partes review proceedings. His areas of technical experience include organic synthesis, medicinal chemistry, and drug discovery and development.
Joshua earned his M.S. in chemistry from the University of Virginia while researching organic natural product synthesis under the direction of Dr. James A. Marshall. Afterwards, he worked as a medicinal chemist for both a multinational pharmaceutical company and the National Institutes of Health. During this time, he designed, synthesized, and characterized therapeutic compounds for the treatment of anemia, blood clots, Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's Disease, and substance addiction.
Joshua has co-authored five peer-reviewed scientific publications. Additionally, he is a co-inventor on four issued U.S. patents and one pending U.S. patent application. He earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Maine School of Law and his B.S. in chemistry, cum laude, from Wittenberg University.
- Joshua G. McCoy, Juan J. Marugan, Ke Liu, Wei Zheng, Noel Southall, Wenwei Huang, Markus Heilig, and Christopher P. Austin, "Selective Modulation of Gq/Gs pathways by Naphtho Pyrano Pyrimidines As Antagonists of the Neuropeptide S Receptor," ACS Chem. Neurosci. 1(8): 559-574 (2010).
- Alex Crowe, Wenwei Huang, Carlo Ballatore, Ronald L. Johnson, Anne-Marie L. Hogan, Ruili Huang, Jennifer Wichterman, Joshua McCoy, et. al., "Identification of Aminothienopyridazine Inhibitors of Tau Assembly by Quantitative High-Throughput Screening," Biochemistry 48(32): 7732-7745 (2009).
- Susanne Neumann, Elena Eliseeva, Joshua G. McCoy, Giorgio Napolitano, Cesidio Giuliani, Fabrizio Monaco, Wenwei Huang, and Marvin C. Gershengorn, "A New Small-Molecule Antagonist Inhibits Graves' Disease Antibody Activation of the TSH Receptor," J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 96(2): 548-554 (2011).
- Erika E. Englund, Susanne Neumann, Elena Eliseeva, Joshua G. McCoy, Steven Titus, Wei Zheng, et. al., "The synthesis and evaluation of dihydroquinazolin-4-ones and quinazolin-4-ones as thyroid stimulating hormone receptor agonists," Med. Chem. Commun. 2(10): 1016-1020 (2011).
- Jieqing Zhu, Won-Seok Choi, Joshua G. McCoy, Ana Negri5, Jianghai Zhu1, et. al., "Structure-Guided Design of a High-Affinity Platelet Integrin αIIbβ3 Receptor Antagonist That Disrupts Mg2+ Binding to the MIDAS," Sci. Transl. Med. 4(125): 125-132 (2012).
- Jian-kang Jiang, Joshua G. McCoy, Min Shen, et. al., "A novel class of ion displacement ligands as antagonists of the αIIbβ3 receptor that limit conformational reorganization of the receptor," Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 24(4): 1148-53 (2014).