Washington D.C. (June 8, 2019) – Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox received positive reviews from editors and the firm’s associates in the 2019 Chambers Associate guide, one of the leading U.S. legal career guidebooks. The editorial content for the Chambers Associate guide is based upon in-depth telephone interviews with thousands of junior associates from firms across the US on the topics that matter to them most including: the quality of the type of work they perform; their level of responsibility; their firm’s culture; personal career development opportunities; diversity and inclusion; and more.
In the firm overview for Sterne Kessler, the editors prompt students and associates, “STEM background? Interested in IP? Desire a ‘balance of legal and technical nerdiness’? You should take a look at this DC-based specialist firm.”
The Chambers Associate publication features quotes from associates about their work life. Following are highlights of what Sterne Kessler associates had to say this year about various aspects of their experience at the firm.
- Associates in the Biotechnology & Chemical Practice Group enjoy the variety and significance of their work, noting, “On the prosecution side you have the opportunity to work with multinational companies and prosecute very important drug portfolios, but you can also draft opinions on freedom to operate clearances and get involved in litigation at an early state. Sometimes you do some patentability and invalidity analysis too.”
- Mechanical & Design Practice Group associates’ matters span “anything from pure mechanical stuff like diesel engines and pumps to medical devices, consumer products and vending machines!” with unique prosecution challenges to solve: “You always have a different puzzle to fit together.”
- The Trial & Appellate Practice Group offers associates the opportunity to work on a wide range of litigation assignments, with one saying, “I went to three trials this year, and this week, I am writing motions to compel, conferring with the other side and preparing some client presentations.”
- Across the firm, professional development advisers serve as important resources for internal networking and securing engaging work. An associate commented, “If you feel like you want to do a particular type of work, you can go to them, express your interest, and they go to the relevant directors on your behalf to help you establish yourself.”
- Associates agree on the benefit of meaningful feedback given in biannual formal reviews, stating that, “the directors are willing to give it and do provide it.”
- Sterne Kessler values training and knowledge sharing, with an associate noting that, “the firm is really good at giving lecture and talks that keep everyone up to speed on certain issues.”
Culture & Diversity
- Sources commented that the firm’s “startup vibe” and relaxed atmosphere lessen the extent of hierarchy, saying, “It’s a meritocracy really, so if you work hard people will listen to and take note of you.”
- With fewer women attorneys in the intellectual property space, an associate noted that Sterne Kessler has increased inclusivity efforts with, “events that everyone can go to and feel included, plus during meetings if someone is being quiet usually one of the directors will ask for their opinion. They value different thoughts and viewpoints.”
About Sterne Kessler
Based in Washington, D.C. and renowned for more than four decades for dedication to the protection, transfer, and enforcement of intellectual property rights, Sterne Kessler is one of the most highly regarded intellectual property specialty law firms in the world. Its team of attorneys, registered patent agents, students, and technical specialists include some of the country's most respected practitioners of IP law tackling innovations across a broad spectrum of industries. The firm’s practitioners hold over 50 masters and over 50 doctorate degrees in science or engineering and represent Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurs, start-ups, inventors, venture capital firms, and universities in a client service driven environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and intellectually stimulating. Visit the firm online at sternekessler.com.