Directors Jon E. Wright and Ryan Richardson will give a presentation titled "Standard Essential Patents Could Profoundly Impact the Smart Grid: What Are SEPs and What Can You Do About Them?" during the Smart Grids USA 2022 Conference on Monday, November 14, 2022. Their presentation will be from 4:00 PM - 4:25 PM (pacific) and will cover the following topics:
- Brief Evolution of SEPs: From inception to the smartphone wars to connected vehicles - is Smart Grid technology next?
- Building a SEP portfolio in the Smart Grid space
- Best practices for interacting with standard-setting organizations
- SEP licensing and litigation considerations for the Smart Grid space
The aging power grid is going through fundamental changes to meet the needs of the 21st century. In addition, Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and dynamic loads bring challenges of reliability, safety, and control issues to modern power systems. Therefore, the focus on modernizing the delivery of electricity from suppliers to consumers and advancing the grid infrastructure is essential.
New smart grid technologies improve the visibility and controllability of the transmission and distribution of energy on a large scale. This year’s conference will bring together industry experts to explore the latest innovations by technology companies, power utilities, and key regulators engaged in amplifying this development.
Key topics on this year’s agenda include:
- Market fundamentals for power systems and grid infrastructure
- New advancements in power generation, storage, and integration
- Engineering know-how in grid transformation and power utilization
- Supporting the industry through energy policies and development
- Distribution automation, advanced monitoring, and cybersecurity
- Grid reliability, resiliency, and efficiency across North America