Director Jonathan Tuminaro, Ph.D. will be a panelist speaking on "Evolving with Litigation Trends" at the 6th Annual IP Strategy Summit on November 7, 2018 at 9:15 AM PST.
Major patent litigation is trending down but a final conclusion is still in flux and venue and jurisdiction issues are front of mind. Post TC Heartland, with patent friendly ED of Texas now a memory, many patent owners are looking internationally for speedier and less expensive enforcement options. Oil States affirmed IPRs, but a combination of PTAB efforts and SAS requirements may further tilt post issuance in favor of patent owners. Recent statistics indicate dropping institution rates, no longer making IPRs an automatic win for defendants. This complexity is leading to the ITC being considered and the rise of trade secrets litigation – where is this all heading?
This panel will explore:
- Overview of landscape and biggest challenges faced
- Venue selection and international litigation compared
- Multinational using international patent systems – Foreshadowing the future
- IPRs less effective defensive tool? – It depends
- What does the future hold?