Darrin W. Hopper, Ph.D., is a patent agent in Sterne Kessler’s Biotechnology & Chemical Practice Group, where he assists in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, the formulation of invalidity, noninfringement, freedom-to-operate, clearance, and patentability opinions, and provides litigation document review support. Darrin has also been involved in inter partes review, reexamination, and interference matters. His technical areas of expertise include traditional medicinal/synthetic/organic chemistry including compound identification and the issues of drug purity, stability and bioavailability.
Prior to joining Sterne Kessler, Darrin was a principal research scientist in an international pharmaceutical company where he conducted research in the areas of infectious disease, inflammation and oncology.
Darrin received his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Virginia. In addition, Darrin was a NIH Postdoctoral Fellow at the State University of New York at Buffalo where he synthesized Methylphenidate analogs for the treatment of cocaine abuse. Additionally, his graduate research involved the synthesis of lysophospholipid mimics as agonists and antagonists of Lysophosphaticic Acid. Darrin received his B.S. in chemistry, magna cum laude, from the State University of New York at Oswego.
- Aimee L. Crombie, Fuk-Wah Sum, Dennis W. Powell, Darrin W. Hopper, Nancy Torres, Dan M. Berger, Yixian, Zhang, Maria Gavriil, Tammy M. Sadler, Kim Arndt. “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Tricyclic Anilinopyrimidines as IKKb Inhibitors”, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2010, 20, 3821.
- Darrin W. Hopper, Aimee Crombie, Jeremy Clemens, and Soojin Kwon, “Six-membered ring system: pyridines and benzo derivatives”, Progress in Hetercyclic Chemistry, 2009, 21, 330.
- Martin J. Di Grandi, Dan M. Berger, Darrin W. Hopper, Chunchun Zhang, Minu Dutia, Alejandro L. Dunnick, Nancy Torres, Jeremy I. Levin, George Diamantidis, Christoph Zapf, Jonathan D. Bloom, YongBo Hu, Dennis Powell, Donald Wojciechowicz, Karen Collins, and Eileen Frommer. “Novel Pyrazolopyrimidines as Highly Potent B-Raf Inhibitors”, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2009, 19(24), 6957.
- Darrin W. Hopper, Matthew Vera, David How, Joshua Sabatini, Jason S. Xiang, Manus Ipek, Jennifer Thomason, Yonghan Hu, Eric Feyfant Qin Wang, Katy E. Georgiadis, Erica Reifenberg, Richard T. Sheldon, Cristin C. Keohan, Manas K. Majumdar, Elisabeth A. Morris, Jerauld Skotnicki and Phaik-Eng Sum. “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of ((4-Keto)-Phenoxy) methyl biphenyl-4-sulfonamides: A Class of Potent Aggrecanase-1 Inhibitors”, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2009, 19(9), 2487.
- Darrin W. Hopper, Minu Dutia, Dan M. Berger, Dennis W. Powell, “Observation of differential reactivity of cyclic amines in SN2 and SNAr displacement reactions in the course of synthesizing C-6, C-7 substituted quinolinecarbonitrile MEK1 kinase inhibitors”, Tetrahedron Letters 2008, 49(1), 137.